Friday, July 18, 2008

Mookie says, pt 2, LA lines:

A follow-up to the aforementioned study of LA behavioral despair:

I decided to spend approximately 3 hours sandwiched between hipster A and photog-blog-mod B, in a town called Hollywood. 
Ah, nightlife... all in the name of science.

The following statements have NOT been changed to protect the innocent.
During a Tuesday night at Dim Mak's packed Cinespace party between the hours of 11 pm and 2 am PST only two people spoke to me.
This is what they said:
1. Are you holding that seat?
2. Are you Alex Holmes' sister?

For the purpose of proving a point, Will and I conducted a study of the "Yo Ma" phenomenon known in NY. Somewhere between the hours of 11 pm and 2 am EST, on a similar Tuesday night, I ventured to Harlem via the A train. Walked a few blocks through the empty projects (it was a chilly night) and arrived at a stoop across the street from a deserted playground.
I got my first "Yo Ma" about 1 minute after I got to the door. I don't know where it came from - I couldn't see anybody on the street. 10 seconds after that, I got an anonymous "Yo shorty" - likely from a window.

Conclusion: 
Within about 5 minutes you can get picked up out of nowhere in NY's projects.
In LA, you're lucky if someone spills a drink on you.

1 comment: